Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Night at the Opry!


Well, I'm not the biggest fan of country music, but I wasn't going to let a trip to Nashville go by without a trip to one of the hallowed halls of American music history, the Grand Ole Opry House.

So that is what I did my first night in Nashville...and I must say, it was surprisingly very fun. Considering it was a Tuesday night show, I was surprised to see two acts that I have at least heard of in country music circles, Craig Morgan and Trick Pony (Trick Pony's bass player has this ridiculously pimped-out upright that is a purplish chrome color and has flashing headlights built into the body). And both of those acts were very entertaining...probably because they are younger and have a more modern sound.

But the "funnest" act of the night has to go to family bluegrass band, Cherryholmes (the family's last name). There was one song in which every member of the family--except for the bearded patriarch who plays upright bass--started clogging. How often do you see a family band do that?

Another peformer was Australian native Jamie O'Neal.

Sorry the pics are so dark. I have just resigned myself to the fact that my camera sucks taking photos in dark places.

Grand Ole Opry members who performed Tuesday night included Porter Wagoner (performing in the picture above), Jeannie Seely, John Conlee and Jim Ed Brown.

Cherryholmes on the Opry stage.

Trick Pony on the Opry stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home