Saturday, February 11, 2006

Blizzard Blog '06!

Figured I'd blog along as this nor'easter goes through the area overnight...

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 4:28 p.m. EST
Some more pics...
I took this from ground level in the middle of the sidewalk leading to the parking lot. That's my building in the background.

Here's my snow-covered VUE. I think this may be the first photo of my car to ever appear on this site without it being on the back of a tow truck.

I took four measurements and three of them came in between nine and 10 inches. Although drifts make it difficult to get an accurate reading, I'm going with 9.5 inches as the official snow amount for my particular area.

Just a photo of the cars in the parking lot.

I cleaned off my car and started shoveling around it. However, the person who was parked on the one side of me came out and started cleaning her car. So, after I got the other side of my car dug out, I offered to help her get her car shoveled out. To speed things up, I started just piling snow up on the side of my car I had not done yet. The plan was to get her space cleared and then finish up shoveling mine. Of course, guess who showed up at that point? The owner of the car parked on the other side of me came out and started cleaning off his car, so now the one side I had done was just going to get snowed in again.

Hence, I gave up, came back inside and enjoyed my traditional, post-shoveling meal of grilled cheese and tomato soup...mmm, mmm good.

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 11:45 a.m. EST
Another pic...

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 11:02 a.m. EST
Just heard something on Philly's NBC 10 that prompted me to write this...to all those who plan on driving in this mess today, here is one request: CLEAR OFF ALL THE SNOW FROM THE TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE!

I cannot stand these ignorant bastards who just clear off the snow on their hoods, windshield and windows, and then drive away cluelessly. Just to let you idiots know, THAT SNOW IS BLOWING ONTO THE CARS ON THE ROAD BEHIND YOU! And that hinders the visibility of other drivers on the road, which is very dangerous.

I never understood why people do that anyway. I mean, the first thing I clear off is the roof of my car and then work my way down. That seems like the logical thing to do...at least it is to me.

OK...end of rant.

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 9:23 a.m. EST
OK...update time. And it looks like there is a whole lot of snow outside my door. NBC 10 in Philly just showed some snowfall amounts in the area. Warminster, PA, which is a few miles to the west of me, reportedly has about 16 inches of snow on the ground (although I have a feeling drifting may be skewing that count). Meanwhile, Lawrenceville, NJ, a few miles northeast of me and where I drive to work everyday, is reporting 13 inches of snow. Since I am pretty much right in the middle, I have to assume I am going to be digging out of a double-digit snowfall...so I guess I was wrong about being on the low end of that 8-12 inches prediction (see two updates down).

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 5:42 a.m. EST
I was just about go back to sleep when it happened...THUNDER-SNOW! The wind suddenly picked up and the snow started hitting the window a bit harder. Then, I saw a flash of light through the window and...BANG...thunder. I love me some thunder-snow!

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 5:29 a.m. EST
Weather Channel still saying 8-12 inches for my area, but I think we'll max out in the low end of that...but I could be wrong. Here is the radar image from National Weather Service:

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006 - 5:13 a.m. EST
Another photo below of the scene outside my window. There is definitely a decent amount of snow outside, but I can't really tell how much. At least there wasn't a snowmobile incident this time (see below).

Saturday, Feb. 11, 2006 - 11:47 p.m. EST
Below is the scene outside my window, but something odd happened while I snapped this picture...if you look closely, there is an object right behind the post. What is it, you ask? It's some idiot riding a snowmobile around my complex. He was in mid-turn when I took the photo and he appeared to almost crash into the other side of my building. That was the first and only time I have heard the noise from it, so he either decided to drive it somewhere else or he learned his lesson.

(Yes, I know the photo is blurry...I didn't use a flash and I moved the camera when I reacted to the noise of the snowmobile...sorry.)

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Musicguy said...

all i know is that there's a lot of freaking snow and i'm NOT going to get a day off from it! grrrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home